Spring 2012 Germanna Foundation Newsletter
The Germanna Foundation is the grateful recipient a grant from the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities for a long-term interpretive exhibit for the Brawdus Martin Germanna Visitor Center.
This grant provides $3,000 towards the costs of fabricating and installing the exhibit in 2012.
A previous grant from VFH of $10,000 made possible the research and design of the exhibit.
Former Trustee Emeritus John Pearce and First Vice President Katharine L. Brown prepared the exhibit script as professional volunteers and Cheryl Lyon of LDA creations, an experienced exhibit designer, prepared the design and construction plans for the exhibit.
The exhibit panels, which will hang on the five walls of the exhibit gallery in the pentagonal building, will cover the history of the settlers who came to Germanna in 1714 and 1717, and those who came later to join these pioneers.
Their backgrounds in the various German states, the role of Lt. Gov. Spotswood in bringing these German Protestants to the Virginia frontier, and the permanent settlements they created in Fauquier, Culpeper, and Madison counties are also examined in the exhibit. Salubria and its connection with the Spotswoods and with the German settlers is also a focus, as is the history of the area during the Civil War.
Numerous historic documents, portraits, maps, and photographs of rare artifacts are included among the panel illustrations, as well as photographs of historic churches and villages in Germany associated with the Germanna settlers.
The VFH grant is a matching grant, which means the Foundation must raise another $3,000 to apply to the fabrication and installation of the panels.
Contributions in any amount, small or large, are welcome for that purpose.
Simply send a check to the Foundation office with “vfh exhibit match” on the memo line. Your tax-deductible contribution will be gratefully acknowledged.