The Brunswick Times-Gazette newspaper had an article by Bobby Conner about members of the Fort Christanna Site Development Committee visiting the Fort Germanna archaeology dig. Fort Christinna is a the ‘sister’ fort to Fort Germanna as both were built in 1714 by Lt. Governor Alexander Spotswood.
Fort Christanna Committee visits Fort Germanna
Both forts were built in 1714 by Governor Alexander Spotswood
LOCUS GROVE – Last fall a group of representatives from the Germanna Foundation visited the Fort Christanna Historical Site to see and talk about how the site has been developed into a historical park. In 2013, the Germanna Foundation acquired the Fort Germanna site, which is located in Orange County. The group was looking for ideas at Fort Christanna on how to possibly develop, interpret and open their site to the public.
During their visit, the Germanna group invited members of the Fort Christanna Site Development Committee to visit Fort Germanna.
On July 19, 2017, Gay Neale, Nancy Avery, Doug and Betty Wynn, members of the Fort Christanna Site Development Committee, braved the extremely hot weather and traveled to the Fort Germanna site in Locus Grove west of Fredericksburg.
Both forts were established at the same time by Lt. Governor Alexander Spotswood in 1714. Spotswood named Fort Germanna in honor of British Queen Anne and the German immigrants who were coming to live and work at the fort. He named Fort Christanna “Christ-Anna” for his religion and his queen.
Like Fort Christanna, which was built overlooking the Meherrin River, Fort Germanna was built along the Rapidan River and it seems both were constructed with five sides and were similar in size. Fort Germanna, it is believed, did not have corner bastion houses like Fort Christanna but had one tower built in the center of the fort. . . . .