Did you know that 79 populated places/towns in America bear Germanna Surnames spread over 31 states? And there are over 1,100 places like public and private buildings, reservoirs, schools, and churches in America with a Germanna name?
To name a few on our list of 1,170 entries:
- Yager Stadium at Washburn University in Kansas
- Willhoit Airport in Illinois
- Utterback Middle School in Arizona
- Koontz Lake in Indiana
- Kemper Dam in Missouri
- Jager Mine in Montana
- Holtzclaw School in Mississippi
- Hitt Mountains in Idaho (including a ski area)
- Fishback Soccer Park in South Dakota
- and so on
Germanna Foundation Treasurer Keith Hoffman has prepared another list similar to the one he did with Germanna street names, only this time he used a list of over two million places identified by the US Geological Survey. This list is the Federal and national standard for geographic nomenclature.
See if your Germanna name is on this list: Germanna Place Names in America (Excel file)
If you have Google Earth, each is recorded in the Google Earth directory. You can see the location if you search by name.