View the Germanna Foundation overview booklet (pdf)
Your gift is so important in our effort to explore, preserve, interpret, and educate others about the story and legacy of Germanna and its families in America for generations to come.
Scroll down to the bottom to make a donation, but first read about the projects and ongoing work your generous gift will help support and assist us achieving National Historic Landmark recognition:
YES! I want to be a part of making Germanna a National Asset for posterity by supporting or sponsoring these projects:
Fort Germanna / Enchanted Castle Archaeological Site
- National Historic Landmark Status: Conduct research, prepare written materials and submit application. Cost includes historian/consultant fees.
- Staff Archaeologist: Discover Fort Germanna through archaeologist salary, benefits, administrative expenses, insurance and taxes.
- Interior Improvements for Archaeology Lab: Build out interior including special purpose improvements as well as all laboratory equipment.
- Site Protection & Security – Fence: Erect about 4,500 feet of fencing along property line, post signage, and install new gate on access roadway around the Fort Germanna site.
- Archaeological Fieldwork: Sponsor costs for annual field school with Virginia Commonwealth University. Cost includes part-time staff/contractor/intern assistance.
- Archaeology Equipment: Acquire surveying equipment for fieldwork, including high precision GPS equipment for Fort Germanna site surveys.
- Archaeologist Support & Administration: Provide funding for archaeological computing tools (hardware/software), travel/per diem, office supplies, training. Your donation will help Germanna fund conference presentations based on our archaeological findings.
- Reconstruct Second Floor – walls and doors: Reconstruct the second floor hall and bedroom walls.
- Reconstruct Second Floor Ceiling
- Restore/Rebuild Windows: Restore/rebuild the interior second floor windows (14) using dining room window reconstruction and existing original timbers as model/guide.
- Archaeological Survey: Conduct Phase I archaeological survey of property to locate additional site(s) to protect or preserve, and continue the search for Lady Spotswood’s grave, which oral history tradition states is on the property.
- Salubria Exhibit and Tour: Research and design interpretive tour of Salubria and property, produce materials, erect exhibit sign(s), recruit volunteer tour guide docents, and prepare property for regular schedule of public exhibit (or opening) dates/times.
- Drainage: Enhance grading and drainage, for copper gutter system completed following 2011 earthquake damage.
Fort Germanna Visitor Center / Siegen Forest
- Repair and Maintenance for Visitor Center
- Grounds Beautification: Design annual landscaping/gardening plan, purchase plants and materials, install new watering system and develop schedule with a combination of part-time/contract gardener(s) and volunteers to ensure grounds, including Memorial Garden, are landscaped and maintained through all seasons of the year.
- Complete/Repair Outdoor Lighting System: Finish installing planned outdoor lighting at Memorial Garden, repair flagpole lighting, add 2 flagpoles to honor the British and German heritage of the property, and install additional security and safety lighting as needed in parking area.
- Siegen Forest Interpretation: Promote public access by revising and publishing new trail guides, erecting additional outdoor signage, and conducting a grassroots PR campaign (trails are open to the public).
Foundation Operations & Administration
- Annual Audit & Tax Services: The Foundation has engaged Keiter, Inc., of Richmond, VA, to conduct an annual independent review of the Foundation’s financial records and to provide tax services (through 2019), a requirement for some grants-making organizations and to ensure accountability to our donors and members. Keiter audits Preservation Virginia and the Virginia Historical Society, among others.
- Personnel: Managing multiple projects and Foundation operations requires a dedicated professional staff. Salaries, benefits, insurance and taxes for Membership Development Manager, Office Manager, and Volunteer Coordinator (expanded hours) through 2018 (archaeologist position listed separately).
- Operations & Maintenance: Provide for ongoing expenses covering property insurance, utilities, security and buildings/ grounds maintenance; office and staff administrative support and infrastructure (phones, IT hardware, software systems, hosting and maintenance for websites, postage, business fees, etc.); travel; fundraising and marketing/member communications through 2018.
- Peer-Reviewed Germanna Research: Commission historian to research, write and publish a scholarly article concerning the German speaking transatlantic network that included Germanna.
- Annual Germanna Conference: Fund all activities for the next Reunion and Conference.
- Fort Germanna and Salubria Highway Markers: Create signage for local roads to guide the public to the Fort Germanna Visitor’s Center and property. (10 signs)
- Fishback Genealogy, Germanna Record #23: Provide funding required to underwrite research and publishing costs.
Did you know? 77% of the Foundation’s funding is provided by donations from individuals like you (only 3% comes from membership dues).
Donations to the non-profit 501(c)3 Germanna Foundation are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Matching Gifts: Many employers will match charitable gifts made by their employees, letting you add to, or even double, your donation to Germanna. Please talk with your human resources or personnel office about your company’s matching gift program and consider taking advantage of this great way to make your gift have even more impact. The Germanna Foundation’s nonprofit tax ID # is: 54-6048585.
Remember the Germanna Foundation in your estate plans and will.
- Annual IRA Gift (The 2015 Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act allows taxpayers age 70½ or older to donate up to $100,000 annually from their IRA accounts directly to charity without first having to recognize the distribution as income.)
- Life Insurance
- Real Estate
- Retirement Plan Assets
- More information about Planned Giving
If you don’t wish to make a donation online, you can call the Germanna Foundation at 540-423-1700 Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4:00 pm OR fill out this FORM (pdf) and mail it to the Germanna Foundation along with your check.