How many people can proudly say that they have personally contributed a very personal and meaningful item into a time capsule to eventually be discovered by yet unborn descendants? WELL, YOU CAN!!
The Board of Trustees of the Germanna Foundation has announced a unique opportunity for members and other interested parties to be included in the Germanna Foundation’s first Time Capsule, “Memories and Reflections From the People of Germanna.”
This time capsule will be placed behind a wall within the lobby of the new Hitt Archaeology Center, which will be built adjacent to the Fort Germanna Visitor Center this year.
The capsule will be opened in 50 years, in July of 2068, during the Foundation’s 111th annual reunion.
Share this information with your siblings, cousins, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
You can create a special legacy for your family by submitting a personally-written document to be placed within the time capsule. The document, the front and back of a full sheet of 8½”x11” paper, can contain whatever text and/or photos you wish.
Here’s what to start with:
- Your full name (including nicknames)
- The date and place of your birth
- The city/state you call home
- The Germanna names you descend from
- Info on your family members
- Give interesting personal insights for your ancestors
- Your connections with the Germanna Foundation
- A message to your descendants present at the opening of the time capsule
Here are some more ideas of what you can add to your submission:
- Help your descendants learn about you … as if you were talking to them in person … mention what you like to do, what is important to you, what you are good at, your special skills or interests
- Mention some family-related tidbits that your current family members might not even know about
- Do a bulleted list of the accomplishments you are proud of achieving during your life
- Describe any especially noteworthy WOW! moments/happenings in your life
- Touch on the ethos you try to follow living your life
- Explain why Germanna is important to you, name the Germanna Colony names you descend from
- Encourage your descendants to become active members of the Foundation.
For more ideas, contact Skip Poole to see what he has done for his submission.
When done, just email your completed 8½”x11” document to Skip Poole (email@example.com). We will print or copy your submission onto Permalife paper and enclose it within an acid-free sheet protector to help protect it for its 50-year storage life.
We will establish a 2068 Time Capsule Opening Committee to ensure that your family, including your future descendants, will be advised of the opening of the capsule so they can be present. We envision that this time capsule opening will be a momentous well-publicized milestone Germanna event!
The cost per submission of a double-sided single sheet of paper is $50. Proceeds of money received for document submissions will go into the Germanna Foundation’s Endowment Fund to bolster our financial solvency for future years.
Mail your check, payable to the Germanna Foundation, to: PO Box 279, Locust Grove, VA 22508-0279
Email your time capsule submission document to Skip Poole: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to participate in this opportunity is September 1, 2018, as the interior walls of the structure are scheduled to be sealed later that month.
Watch for the exciting dedication of our new building. Also, look for a list of all time capsule contributors in a future Germanna newsletter.
Contact Skip Poole, Germanna Foundation Trustee and Clore descendant:
703-505-7593 (cell) or email@example.com
Make your check payable to the Germanna Foundation and mail to:
Germanna Foundation, PO Box 279, Locust Grove, VA 22508-0279