The Germanna Foundation is proud to present the long-awaited new Special Edition of Dr. Benjamin C. Holtzclaw’s Germanna Record Number Five: Ancestry and Descendants of the Nassau-Siegen Immigrants to Virginia, 1714-1750.
First published in 1964, this volume, carefully researched in Germany by the genealogist Emil Flender of Unna, Westphalia, and Dr. Holtzclaw, has been the principal guide to the ancestry of thousands of First Colony descendants for 55 years.
Changes in printing technology had made it impossible to reprint from the original plates that the Foundation had used for two previous reprintings.
Thanks to the wonders of the digital age, it has been possible to scan the original book at high resolution and prepare a new version for printing.
Instead of the old 6” x 9” format, the new volume measures 8.5” x 11,” the size of John Blankenbaker’s Second Colony Pioneers and the Clore, Yager, and Wilheit genealogies that Cathi Clore Frost has compiled.
Dr. Holtzclaw’s original text and format have been kept, as this is not a revised, re-worked, and annotated edition.
Additions to this 622-page book (compared with the 540-page original) include:
- A revised and enlarged schematic map of the Siegerland,
- A full-page chart of marriage relationships among the 1714 families,
- Introductory essays by J. Marc Wheat, President of the Germanna Foundation, and Dr. Katharine L. Brown, editor of the volume and chair of the Publications Committee,
- Three articles related to Germanna Record #5 that appeared in the 1960, 1968, and 1971 issues of the annual Reunion booklets, including the useful 1971 15-page “Additions and Corrections to Germanna Record #5”
- More than 25 new photographs of Germanna-related houses, churches, castles and period documents taken by members of the Publications Committee in Germany in recent years.
Cynthia J. Kwitchoff designed the layout and cover and saw the book through the printing process.
The new volume is available in a softcover edition for $65 and in hardcover for $90. (Shipping charge is $7.50)
An initial supply of both hardcover and softcover is available now at the Visitor Center office. Call Barbara Bounds at 540-423-1700 for details and to place your order with a credit card. You can also order at Amazon, but please help Germanna by selecting the Germanna Foundation as the seller, thank you!
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- The Arrival of the Nassau-Siegen Immigrants
- Nassau-Siegen Revisited After 250 Years
- The Back-Bach Family
- The Brumback-Brombach Family
- The Button Family of Fauquier and Culpeper
- The Coons-Koontz-Kuntz Family
- The Crim-Grimm Family
- The Fishback-Fischbach Family
- The Haeger and Friesenhagen Families
- The Hanback-Heimbach Family
- The Hitt-Heite Family
- The Holtzclaw-Holzklau Family
- The Hardin Family of Virginia and Kentucky
- The Huffman-Hofmann Family of Madison Co., Va
- The Huffman-Hofmann Family of Culpeper Co., Va
- The Kemper Family
- The Martin-Merten Family
- The Miller-Mueller Family
- The Nay-Noeh Family
- The Rector-Richter Family
- The Spilman-Spielmann Family
- The Utterbach-Otterbach Family
- The Wayman-Weidmann Family
- The Weaver-Weber Family
- The Whitescarver-Weissgerber Family
- The Young-Jung Family
- The Little Fork Colony from Siegen: Culpeper County (1960) (From Germanna Descendants in Reunion booklet)
- New Items of Interest to Nassau-Siegen Descendants (1968) (From Germanna Descendants in Reunion booklet)
- Additions and Corrections to Germanna Record #5 (1971) (From Germanna Descendants in Reunion booklet)
- Index of original 1964 book
Call Barbara Bounds at the Fort Germanna Visitor Center office: 540-423-1700.
Bev Utterback McCoy says
Hi. I was wondering if shipping is included for the new book. I am interested in the paperback. $65.00
Hello Bev, shipping is an extra $7.50.