Ashley Abruzzo takes a look at the Germanna Ford. On May 4, 1864, 156 years ago during the Civil War, General Ulysses S. Grant and the Army of the Potomac crossed the Rapidan River at Germanna Ford.
The Germanna Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to exploring the Colonial Virginia frontier via the historic 1714 Fort Germanna and its German colonists and their descendants.
It conducts archaeological exploration and conservation, genealogical research and publishing, and historic preservation and interpretation.
The Foundation owns and maintains several historic sites and properties, such as Salubria Manor, that were part of or closely connected to the Germanna colonies, the town of Germanna, and the other early colonial Virginia settlements and towns in the Piedmont area of Virginia.
• Fort Germanna Visitor Center, Museum & Genealogy Library
• Hitt Archaeology Center
• Germanna Memorial Garden
• 170-acre Siegen Forest Hiking and Nature Trails
• 1714/1717 Fort Germanna archaeology site
• Lt Gov Alexander Spotswood’s Mansion ‘Enchanted Castle’ archaeology site
• Historic 1757 Salubria — Georgian-style manor house
• Revolutionary War-era Peter Hitt Farm
Do you have a Germanna name? Find out:
Contact us: https://germanna.org/contact/ or 540-423-1700
Join our Mailing List: https://germanna.org/join-mailing-list/
Become a Member: https://germanna.org/membership/
Make a Donation: https://germanna.org/donate/
LEARN MORE ABOUT US: